Thursday, 19 April 2012

{ Treasures } The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies

Over the past month or so, a couple of people have identified the items within their household that they'd save if a fire took hold, and it got me to thinking. Trinkets and ornaments hold so much thought and personality but there are always some specific items that also incite memories and inspiration and it's usually these pieces that possess most love. I've always been one for having lots and lots of items on shelves and adorning every available space but there are definitely favourites within these: they have stories and snippets of information attached and its this that makes them special. So, I thought I would share some of these treasures and the special place they hold in my heart. I hope this new feature may incite happy thoughts as you relate to or think of your chosen things.

This week, I wanted to start with a treasured book. Now, literature has always been a love of mine and the majority of my print has a special something about it, but, if it really came to it, this item would be a "save me". 

And so, without further ado, I introduce 'The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies'. This copy is a limited edition publishing (number 670 of 1000) and was a Valentines pressie from Dave this year. Publishers often produce limited edition prints of favourite books that include added extras and a real opulence.



The extras for this speciality are two prints of original fairy sketches by Cecily Mary Barker. It includes all of the flower fairies editions and is presented in a beautiful hard case, in the shape of a book, with gold guilded page edges and full-page colour illustrations. 

The flower fairies have always been of inspiration to me, incorporating beautiful florals with whimsical figures, and thus this edition was immediately added to the 'wish list'. I sure was spoilt when it became my V day pressie! Flower fairies also remind me of my Nanna and make me think of evenings sat reading the poems with her or copying the pictures into sketchbooks. 



Receiving a wonderful copy of a favourite book is fantastic and really adds to the excitement as you carefully thumb through the pages. I often think of sitting with our future generations, looking at the fairies and reciting the prose, as I did with my Nanna, along with the thought that this book was a special present from my special someone.

Do you have any special editions of favourite titles? Or have a wish list of new releases?

Love and lacery,


No comments:

Post a Comment