Tuesday, 10 April 2012

{ Craft Corner } Embroidery Hoop Fun

After looking around at the beautiful embroidery and hoop wall art that is to be found on the interweb, I had to give it a go! Scouting around in one of Nanna's drawers produced a couple of embroidery hoops and some white linen and thus, it was embroidery time! There are plenty of images and tutorials around the internet so it was very simple to just get stitching... and here's what I produced.


I didn't follow any patterns but instead freehanded some blooms as and when I fancied, using a selection of silk threads. In the end, I went with a countryside theme, putting in the field with the fence and the Tiger Moth leaving a smoke trail after filling the bottom half with flowers.

I've used a whole host of stitches including the more usual ones like lazy daisy, cross stitch, French knot and backstitch. However, a lot of the flowers are just singular lines converging on one central point, such as the orange and pink blossoms. The rose-like flowers are made using bullion knot stitch, where, alike French knot, you wrap the thread around the needle before passing it back through the fabric (although a lot more times to give the longer knot). The hoop now resides on the wall above the sideboard with the other pictures we've got hung up. I must admit, I'm rather pleased with how it's turned out and can't wait to fill the available two  hoops.

I hope this gives you a little inspiration to try embroidery! I've never had any tuition in stitching and this is my first attempt at proper embroidery... and if I can do it, then you can too!

Love and lacery,

No comments:

Post a Comment